Denna webbplats använder teknik som troligen inte stöds i din webbläsare, därför kan vissa saker se konstiga ut eller inte fungera. Vi rekommenderar att du byter till en modern webbläsare istället.
Skip to main content

Educated abroad

Licence to practice in professions within the Swedish healthcare system

If you have a profession within healthcare, you will need a license to practice within the Swedish healthcare system. If you have a licence to practice outside of Sweden, you need to obtain a Swedish licence to be able to practice in any of the regulated professions within the Swedish health care system. The fact that a professions is regulated means that you have an exclusive right to practice a profession, or that the professional title or specialist designation is protected by law.

Regulated professions

The National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) is a government agency in Sweden under the Ministry of Health and Social Affairs. There are 21 regulated professions that the National Board of Health and Welfare issues a licence or a certificate of proficiency for: audiologist, biomedical scientist, chiropractor, dental hygenist, dental practitioner, dietitian, doctor of medicine, medical physicist, midwife, naprapath, nurse responsible for general care, occupational therapist, optician, orthopaedic engineer, pharmacist, physiotherapist, prescriptionist, psychologist, psychotherapist, radiographer and speech therapist.

The National Board of Health and Welfare

Educated within EU or EEA

Here you can see which professions this applies to and how persons educated within EU or EEA can apply for a license to practice. 

Educated within EU or EEA

Educated outside EU and EEA

If you want to work as a healthcare practitioner and you are educated outside the EU and EEA, you may need to obtain a licence. This is where you can see the professions for which you need a licence and how you go about obtaining one.

Educated outside EU and EEA

Language requirements

For us to be able to employ you, you need Swedish skills equivalent to level C1 on the Council of Europe’s scale (CEFR).  

Learn Swedish

Updated: 2016-08-25 11:31